Apparently flea markets (loppis) are sort of a tradition in this city and many people participate in those. From what I’ve heard, they are organized each month, every time in different place. The one today was in one of the university buildings. And that was a perfect location for me. Since I just moved recently I hoped to buy some things for my new room. I have never been to a flea market here, so I didn’t really know what to expect.
I went to the university a bit earlier, to look for an ATM, since I had no cash after yesterday (there was a traditional Christmas market yesterday in another part of the city). And the people were already gathering! even though it was 15 minutes before. I managed to finally withdraw money (I tried 2 days before and yesterday as well, and failed). I was so happy I came earlier, because 5-10 minutes later the line to the ATM was really long.
When they finally opened the door people started pushing in like crazy! I didn’t expect that. It turned out that most of the stuff people were selling were clothes and toys for kids. But still I managed to find something for myself. The coolest things I found were green Converse sneakers for 100 kr and Marvel poster for 5 kr. The prices overall were really shocking! Like really, I didn’t expect anything, especially clothes to be so cheap!So I bought:
- pictures for decoration (10 kr per one) – they were all so lovely, there was 9 small ones and one big; all the small ones were so beautiful, but I didn’t need all… And they were unimaginably cheap
- green Converse – perfectly my size! Used but in good condition. There were also blue ones, much newer, same price, but I just liked the green ones better. Also my current green shoes are falling apart… And I don’t have any low Converse, only the above-ankle ones.
- a pillow – I need one if I wanted to sit against the wall. The ones I’ve seen for 20 kr in Jysk were just terrible, and this one is nice and thick, it’s a bit dirty, but I can put it in another fabric. It’s so perfect, and only 5 kr!
- a trash bin – a small one for my room, since I didn’t manage to buy any at a shop a couple days ago; I also wanted to buy Tekken 5 for PS2 from that stall, but it turned out there was a wrong game in the box (but it was only 10 kr)…
- a towel – thought I might have a towel for guests, a tiny one, it was only 2 kr, and the pink matches my floor mat and soap!
- a shirt – even though it’s 2 sizes too big, it’s exactly same one as my favorite green shirt, which is very comfortable and awesome, and I wear it all too often. I though I can somehow probably wear an oversized one anyway. It’s just that this is a type from 4 years ago probably and impossible to buy a new one in a shop. Plus I recently wanted a red checkered shirt.
- a Marvel poster – just saw it as I was about to leave, when the seller was preventing it from falling to the floor. Even though it’s about Marvel comics which unfortunately I don’t know I still wanted, because at least I know some of the heroes there and I watched the animated TV series as a kid and the love the recent movies too!
Unfortunately, nobody was selling any mirror. There were some rugs, but they cost around 50 kr and did not look that good and were quite dirty, so I though I’d buy a new one from some shop probably. Still, I’m fairly satisfied with what i managed to buy. Most of all with the Converse, maybe I should have bought one more pair, there were also high white ones, like ones that i have, but mine unfortunately seems to be fake…